Capraia is a charming, most natural, wildest and almost intact volcanic rocky island. The third largest of the Tuscan Archipelago, lies between the Italy mainland and Corsica, and is a real Mediterranean pearl, called one of the most beautiful islands in Italy, must visit during Tuscany sailing charter holiday. Its coastline is dramatic with high, rough cliffs intersected by insulated beaches and caves. Inside area is wild and pristine with lots of natural paths. Part of the island is mountainous, rising to 466 meters above sea level, at its highest point. The island is full of history that dates back to 3000 years BC and has been inhabited by the Greeks, Etruscan and Romans. The island is mainly populated with residents focussing on the port and the nearby village. Only 3% of the island is populated the other 97% is a National Park or the area of the ex-prison (that was active from 1873 to 1986), the rest is pristine and full of wild animals. The sea surrounding the Capraia is very popular among divers because of the clear water and an abundance of marine life.

Must see on the island are: Cala Rossa, the place where the last volcano mouth of the island is, walks from town include sights like the ancient ruinous church of Santo Stefano, the Forte di San Giorgio, vineyard La Piana that makes excellent wines and a small lake which is an unusual feature for an Italian island. A path winds along the cliff a short distance to the Bellavista viewpoint, which has panoramic views over the sea, across to Elba, and back over the fortress on its rocks and many more.

Most of the beaches don’t have sand – except for Cala Mortola, the beach accessible only by boat. The rest of the inlets are all hard rocks reachable from the sea or, in some cases like Cala del Ceppo or Cala dello Zurletto from land.
The best way to explore Capraia is on foot and of course with sailing or power yacht. Part of the island is an integral reservoir, so pay attention to forbidden area once sailing around Capraia.